4f99b18f3152ec984a6b986cc710a051

Forum Search

Keyword

Curling leaves on my orange tree

More
08 Jan 2012 21:24 #2188 by Roz
Roz created the topic: Curling leaves on my orange tree
We bought a new house in La Mesa and this summer the new orange tree that was planted earlier in the year looked great. Now after 6 months although there is new growth on the tree and a couple naval oranges, the leaves have a white line on both top and bottom and they are curling and turning beige in spots..Any suggest :huh: ions that are chemical free?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2012 08:57 - 09 Jan 2012 14:05 #2189 by Mitch
Mitch replied the topic: Re:Curling leaves on my orange tree
Hi Roz,

Do the leaves look like this photo? If so I think you have the citrus leaf miner. I got the same thing - I've talked with a number of people and they say it's hard to get rid of without using a systemic pesticide, because the "Miners" are in the middle of the leaf and aren't really affected by sprays that on the outside of the leaf.

Here's the University of California official page www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r107303211.html and here's one from Florida www.themulch.com/articles/gardening-link...of-florida-extension

I really try to do everything as pesticide free as possible, but I ended up using a systemic product from ortho that I bought at Walter Andersen Nursery and it really worked. The older trees didn't seem to be hit as hard with the bug, but the young plants with lots of new growth really got hit hard with the bug (that's why I ended up using the ortho).

I hope this helps!
Attachments:
Last Edit: 09 Jan 2012 14:05 by Mitch.

More
14 Feb 2012 19:52 #2191 by walter
walter replied the topic: Re:Curling leaves on my orange tree
I think Mitch means "BAYER" and not Ortho ---anyway the material in it is imidlacropid, which is used on all sorts of food crops including Citrus. You don't spray it you soak it into the soil. It lasts a long time. If you care not to use this chemical you can try using one of the horticultural OIL sprays, but you will need to spray often for best results, still may not stop them all.

• KipDemott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2016 04:09 #2426 by KipDemott
KipDemott replied the topic: Curling leaves on my orange tree
Nice.

More
01 Sep 2016 04:20 #2427 by Roz
Roz replied the topic: Re:Curling leaves on my orange tree
Yes this is exactly what my trees look like. I contacted the Master Gardener's Association as well, and they said that young citrus trees are very susceptible, however older trees usually fend it off. Last year was the first year that our 2 year old tangerine tree had the problem and it is definitely here again, however we have at least a hundred tangerine this year, so it doesn't seem to be affecting the fruiting ability.

I may purchase the systemic product for my other two trees that are young and not thriving. Thanks!

More
21 Jun 2018 03:55 - 26 Jul 2018 03:33 #2487 by GladysHill
GladysHill replied the topic: Curling leaves on my orange tree
Hi Roz, I am totally agree with Mitch view. If the leaves are infected with citrus miner then you have no other option left than to using pesticides. Don't worry they may not harm your whole garden area, as some pesticides are made-up of natural systemic ingredients like Indian Neem oil or other that don't let the plant get die because of any side effects. I would like to suggest you to call some professional expert like exterminators in NYC they will look out in depth to solve the issues.
Last Edit: 26 Jul 2018 03:33 by GladysHill.

Moderators: Julie Bawden-Davis
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds

Featured Plant Care

Cymbidium Orchid Care

Cymbidium Orchids - Care in southern California

in Orchids
Cymbidium Orchids are so rewarding. Cymbidium Orchids come in so many colors and shade,…
Purple Caribbean Copper Plant Monthly Plant Care

Caribbean Copper Plant - Purple (Euphorbia cotinifolia var. Atropurpurea) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

in Shrubs
You can have these monthly Plant Care Reminders sent directly to you each month!
Passion Vine Plant Care Reminders

Passiflora spp (Passion Flower) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

in Vines
You can have these monthly Plant Care Reminders sent directly to you each month!
Bird of Paradise Monthly Plant Care

Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

Latest Articles

Six things for your indoor plants during winter

Do These Six Things to Keep Indoor Plants Healthy During Winter

Winter has hit southern California along with the rest of the U.S. No polar vortex here,…
Gardening Professionals and Clubs

Gardening Pros & Clubs: Using the Great Features on the Mulch

We'd like to help connect gardening professional and home gardeners. We've designed a…
Star Jasmine Monthly Plant Care

Jasmine - Star (Trachelospermum jasminoides) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

in Vines
Bababerry Raspberry Monthly Plant Care

Raspberry - Bababerry (Rubus idaeus 'Bababerry') - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

in Edibles

Popular Articles

Baseball Field Maintenance

Baseball Field Maintenance - A General Guide for Fields of All Levels

in Lawn
More great baseball field resources can be found here (including a pdf version of this…
Queen Palm Care & Use

The Queen Palm (Syagrus romanzoffiana) Care & Use

in Trees
Jungle Music Palms and Cycads is a family owned and operated business established in 1977
Microgreens

What are Microgreens and How to Grow Them

in Edibles
Microgreens are tiny leafed vegetables that are grown from seed and require very little…
Kahili Ginger Plant Care

Hedychium gardnerianum (Kahili Ginger) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

User Guides (Slide)

Popular Recommendations (Slide)