53934e8d60ffe68ba31639518a21a39f

Forum Search

Keyword

Cutting Morning Glory Vines?

More
20 Feb 2011 07:57 #2039 by helkekat
helkekat created the topic: Cutting Morning Glory Vines?
Hi! I grew morning glories for the first time last year and I am wondering if I should go ahead and remove the vines, which have obviously died during the winter. For future reference: does it matter if/when I remove the vines? Are you supposed to do it in fall or spring? Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2011 08:03 #2040 by thegardenbuzz
thegardenbuzz replied the topic: Re:Cutting Morning Glory Vines?
It depends where you live. I assume these are annual morning glories that have bloomed and set seed? If so new plants will come up as self-sowers. So it would be more attractive for you to cut down the tangle of old vines now. Hope this helps, in this forum which is heavily West Coast readers, it would be nice to mention where you live in order to give accurate advice.

More
23 Mar 2011 11:50 #2094 by helkekat
helkekat replied the topic: Re:Cutting Morning Glory Vines?
Thank you! I live in Massachusetts. I'm an urban gardener so my morning glories grew out of a long planter. I am wondering if there will be any new self-sowers given that I used a planter and have no lawn. Even if there aren't I already started some seeds indoors last week and they're already popping up. Anyway, thank you for the advice.

• Dr.Heat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jun 2011 07:42 - 18 Jun 2011 07:46 #2130 by Dr.Heat
Dr.Heat replied the topic: Re:Cutting Morning Glory Vines?
im from michigan i have had morning glory's for years if ya dont want them growing other places the u might want to cut out the vines just befor they seed and there done blooming because if there seeded allready when ya go to cut out the vines the seeds fly every where and the following year you will notice them comming up other places but yes i cut all my morning glory vines every year and they allways come back every year hope this helps ya out im new to the mulch seen the question figured i would let ya know what i have experinced with morning glorys B)
Last Edit: 18 Jun 2011 07:46 by Dr.Heat.

More
21 Mar 2012 08:47 - 03 Sep 2013 10:53 #2194 by perennialplants
perennialplants replied the topic: Re:Cutting Morning Glory Vines?
we grow these in our nursery and we never take them up. they do not winter kill easily. We are in a zone 5-6 (mtn area Tn) and they do well and are fast spreaders too.
Tammy
Last Edit: 03 Sep 2013 10:53 by Mitch.

Moderators: Julie Bawden-Davis
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds

Featured Plant Care

Alstroemeria Monthly Plant Care

Lily - Inca (Alstroemeria spp.) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

You can have these monthly Plant Care Reminders sent directly to you each month!
Firethorn Monthly Plant Care

Firethorn - Scarlet (Pyracantha coccinea) - Monthly Plant Care Reminders

in Shrubs
You can have these monthly Plant Care Reminders sent directly to you each month!
Alyogyne hakeifolia Monthly Plant Care

Hibiscus - Red Centered (Alyogyne hakeifolia) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

in Shrubs
Green Bean Monthly Plant Care - photo by Burpee

Bean - Green (Phaseolus vulgaris) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

in Edibles

Latest Articles

Peach Leaf Curl

Peach Leaf Curl - Information Hub

Peach leaf curl is a common problem found on leaves of Peaches and Nectarines (and their…
Avocado Information Hub

Avocado - Growing and Plant Care Information Hub

in Edibles
We're bringing relevant information about Avocados (Persea americana) to one fantastic…

Popular Articles

Using the Mulch for Home Gardeners

Home Gardener: Using All The Great Features on the Mulch

You Can Use The Great Features on the Mulch For Free!
Baseball Field Maintenance

Baseball Field Maintenance - A General Guide for Fields of All Levels

in Lawn
More great baseball field resources can be found here (including a pdf version of this…
Queen Palm Care & Use

The Queen Palm (Syagrus romanzoffiana) Care & Use

in Trees
Jungle Music Palms and Cycads is a family owned and operated business established in 1977
Microgreens

What are Microgreens and How to Grow Them

in Edibles
Microgreens are tiny leafed vegetables that are grown from seed and require very little…

User Guides (Slide)

Popular Recommendations (Slide)

Upcoming Events

View All Events

Who's Online

We have 1539 guests and no members online