572a5fad58699b922ea627ef7e017806

Forum Search

Keyword

Blueberry bush in container

More
01 Aug 2011 08:00 #2142 by SamM
SamM created the topic: Blueberry bush in container
I have a dwarf blueberry bush growing in a container in my yard (planted within the last 2 months) and for a while it seemed to be doing very well but all of a sudden, the leaves have been turning red and falling off. Is this normal for this time of year? I live in the San Diego East County. I do not believe I am overwatering the plant since it is on a drip system and gets a little watering twice a day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2011 10:18 #2148 by tanyad
tanyad replied the topic: Re:Blueberry bush in container
I have a couple of blueberry bushes I planted in a small raised bed, kind of similar to a container. One of the varieties does turn reddish and lose its leaves; the other does not. I live at the coast, so mine hasn't turned red yet, but I think it is pretty normal for that variety. I don't remember which one I have. It comes back just fine in the spring. Tanya

More
10 Sep 2011 11:29 #2153 by walter
walter replied the topic: Re:Blueberry bush in container
Blueberries like acid soil conditions to perform well. This usually means mixing in quite a bit of PEAT MOSS when you plant. Also fertilizing with and 'acid type' plant food. Perhaps a "Camellia Azalea Fertilizer".
You also need to double check your watering, you mentioned a dripper, you need to find out how much water it puts out. Most are calculated in 'gallons per hour'. If yours is a 1 gallon per hour emitter and you are watering for 15 minutes that is only one quart each time. This may not be enough. Of course, I don't know how long your system is on for each segment and I don't know the gallons per hour of the emitter. Just some things to check. Also like the other person said, some do turn more red than others, it depends on the variety. I think it is a little early for them to be changing color, however.

Moderators: Julie Bawden-Davis
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds

Featured Plant Care

Plum Monthly Plant Care

Plum - Japanese (Prunus salicina) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

in Edibles
You can have these monthly Plant Care Reminders sent directly to you each month!
Green Bean Monthly Plant Care - photo by Burpee

Bean - Green (Phaseolus vulgaris) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

in Edibles
You can have these monthly Plant Care Reminders sent directly to you each month!
Akebia trifoliata Monthly Plant Care

Akebia - Three Leafed (Akebia trifoliata) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

in Edibles
Aloe vera monthly plant care reminders

Aloe vera (Aloe vera) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

Latest Articles

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Jungle Music Palms, Cycads & Tropical Plants Fall Newsletter

Rare and Exotic Palms, Cycads and Tropical Plants junglemusic.net Hello! You may already…

Popular Articles

Baseball Field Maintenance

Baseball Field Maintenance - A General Guide for Fields of All Levels

in Lawn
More great baseball field resources can be found here (including a pdf version of this…
Queen Palm Care & Use

The Queen Palm (Syagrus romanzoffiana) Care & Use

in Trees
Jungle Music Palms and Cycads is a family owned and operated business established in 1977
Microgreens

What are Microgreens and How to Grow Them

in Edibles
Microgreens are tiny leafed vegetables that are grown from seed and require very little…
Kahili Ginger Plant Care

Hedychium gardnerianum (Kahili Ginger) - Monthly Plant Care Calendar

User Guides (Slide)

Popular Recommendations (Slide)