We see a great looking plant on the street and we stop to check it out. We spend hours and hours primping, nurturing, fertilizing, pruning, mulching, weeding and countless other things in anticipation of that beautiful flower, that delicious piece of tree ripened fruit, or that indescribable delicacy called a vine ripened tomato. But no matter what, we are always thinking about our plants. Granted, not every gardener is the same, and some do much more than others, but we all share that special passion for plants.
With all this in mind, we’ve put together this little test to see how far you’ve gone (not how much you know) in the pursuit of gardening nirvana. Just check off the things you’ve done and we’ll total them up. There are no right or wrong answers, just different levels of experience and passion.
How do you compare?
- 1-5 - You’ve just begun to enjoy the benefits of gardening. Keep up the good work, just think of all of the great things you have to look forward to.
- 6-10 - You’ve got a good start on your path to gardening bliss.
- 11-15 - Now we’re talking, I bet the people at the gardening center recognize you when you walk in.
- 16-20 - Very good. You can officially consider yourself obsessed.
- 21-27 - Excellent, you are truly a gardener at heart. If your plants could talk they’d tell you they love you!
- All 28 - Simply amazing. You are to be commended for the time and energy you give to your plants. You are in a truly elite class of gardening fanatics. Keep up the good work!
We’ll leave it up to you if you want to tell anyone your score (especially if you got more than 20). Number 23 is my favorite, my mom and dad do this all of the time, and when I was a teenager I thought they were absolutely nuts. But now that I’m 42 I have to admit I’m getting pretty good at it (the secret is to get them before they drown or dry up).