A successful landscape is the result of the sensitive balancing of many elements. The first step is to decide exactly what you want and what you like, so that the finished landscape design will suit your tastes and needs. Landscaping is all about creativity, imagination, style. It requires proper planning, knowledge, hard work otherwise it can prove useless and headache for the home owners.
Ten ways which can help us to avoid costly landscape mistakes:
1. Proper Planning: Planning is one of the most important steps in the landscaping process. It is a good idea to draw a map of the yard and then mark the spaces available for planting. As with any landscaping project, proper planning is the key to success.
2. Right selection of plants: Before selecting the plants research about their water, soil, climate requirement, about their root system etc. Sometimes we buy plants because they look appealing to us without knowing anything about them. We ignore to think that the plant would be a different size when fully grown. Choosing too-large plants is a common landscape mistakes.
3. Knowing the type of your soil: Understanding the types of soil is essential to create the perfect garden. This is because each variety of plant requires a different type of soil in order to thrive and bloom. Some plants are hardier and can withstand various soil conditions whilst other plants are very fussy about their soil conditions.
4. Proper Drainage System: One of the most common and sometimes costly mistakes that are made when creating a new landscape is not paying attention to a drainage plan. If the landscaping has not been designed to direct the water away from home foundations, sever basement flooding and wall damage may occur.
5. Good irrigation system: Installation of a good irrigation system can save enormous amount of time and work. There are several different types of irrigation systems like sprinklers; drip irrigation, bubbler etc can be used depending on your garden needs and requirements.
6. Right placement of plants and trees: Don't forget that plants have roots and that most roots seek moisture. If the moisture is near a sidewalk, the sidewalk can easily be lifted or cracked over a relatively short period of time. Don't plant trees where the roots may be attracted to sweating underground pipes.
7. Keep lawn area small: Lawns are inherently high-care because they need regular mowing. Keep lawns small and select grasses that don't have problems in your area to save time, labor and money.
8. Knowing your climate: This can be a great help as what works great in Australia could turn into a maintenance nightmare in California. The only thing you'll accomplish by trying to grow plants that just aren't meant for your climate is high bills and endless headaches.
9. Selection of non living materials: Before selecting such hardscape materials it should be kept in mind that it requires good drainage; some, like untextured concrete, can be slippery when wet. Therefore proper selection should be made based on appearance, suitability, and cost.
10. Proper fencing: In addition to providing privacy, supporting vines, protecting against strong winds, creating comfortably warm spots in sunny areas, and meeting many other needs, fences can unify a house and garden when they are made of a material that is harmonious with both.
Design your landscape right and you could get back twice your investment when you sell the house. Faulty landscape project could create a lot of problems; prove costlier to your pockets.
Roxanne is an award winning residential landscape designer and her company Singing Gardens Landscape Design is a San Diego landscape design company has been improving the value of Southern California homes by making beautiful and creative landscaping. She specializes in Modern Zen Garden and Xeriscape landscape design with emphasis on water smart gardening, low maintenance, sustainable urban landscape designs for Southern California home owners. You can visit her website at www.singinggardens.com.