The Mulch Gardening Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Avocado Leaves turning brown
SamM
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Avocado Leaves turning brown 2 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
I have two Dwarf Holiday Avocado Trees growing in containers in my yard. They were recently planted (within last two months) and I have noticed that the ends of some of the leaves are turning brown! What could be causing this? I am new to growing Avocado's in my yard and any advice is welcome. I water the plants every day by hand.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Darcy
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Avocado Leaves turning brown 2 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Avocados do not like to have their roots wet and with watering everyday, this may be the problem. They do need a lot of water but it has to drain off of the roots. I would check to see what's going on in the soil and maybe cut back on your watering. What type of potting soil did you use? A cactus mix is the recommended soil if you're growing them in pots. Good luck!

Logged Logged
mitch
Admin
graph
Re:Avocado Leaves turning brown 2 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 2
Avocados also do not like salty water (which unfortunately you probably have) since you are in Santee. I've been told to let the soil of your avocados dry out in between waterings.

Also, here's another discussion about a similar problem from before. www.themulch.com/component/kunena/Fruits...Avocado-brown-leaves

I hope this helps.

Logged Logged
tanyad
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
I planted a Holiday about 3 years ago in Pt. Loma. When the tips of the leaves turned brown, we were advised that it was from the salts in the water. The advice we got was to water twice per week, but very deeply. So we set our irrigation to water for 20 minutes 3-4 days apart. This really did the trick. Now that the tree is older we only water once per week, but still do the 20 minutes. Good luck! Tanya

Logged Logged
mitch
Admin
graph
Re:Avocado Leaves turning brown 2 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 2
Have you had any Avos yet? How do Holiday compare in taste to Hass? I've always wanted to try to graft another type of Avocado onto my tree.

Logged Logged
tanyad
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
We got 2 the first year, but I never knew when to pick them. I picked one around Thanksgiving and it never ripened. I picked the 2nd about a month later and it also nver ripened. They look like they will be good though. I didn't get any fruit last year. This year I only have 4. I will post something if/when I actually eat one! I have heard it takes 5 years to get good fruit. Our five years will be next year.

Logged Logged
Go to top

Live Website Help

Guests & Members

We have 1885 guests online